Today was a day.
When I woke up, I wasn't sure I'd be allowed to leave the house. My dad got really mad at me last night and said he was going to take away my keys so I couldn't go anywhere today. This would have been tragic, considering today was the last and only day I would have been able to see Beth before she left for Eckerd.
There was a note in the kitchen from my dad telling me to call him when I got up. I called him. I had noticed my keys were still on the table by the door. He said I could see Beth.
I was supposed to meet her at CHCC at 11 am. We were both late, which was okay.
It was a good day. We talked a lot, about her friend drama, mine, general stuff. We ran into Katherine at Top of the Hill, and she stayed with us. She's a character if there ever was one! The three of us went to Borders in search of a romance novel she had seen while at writing camp at UVA. We didn't find it, but we laughed so hard looking through the romance section and came away with hilarious nicknames:
I = Lone Hawk
Katherine = Savage Highlander
Beth = The Millionaire's Inexperienced Love-Slave
(they're hilarious to us...)
Then we went back to coffee, met more people. Five of us (me, Katherine, Beth, Macrina, Nicole) went to dinner at the Trolley Car. Beth had to be home around 7 pm because she and her dad wanted to be back in LBI by about 9:30 pm, so I drove her home because we live near each other and I needed to get home too.
It's funny, because even though today represented the last time I will see her until Christmas, I didn't, and still don't, feel like Beth is leaving. She has about a 3-week orientation in Florida, and she leaves in "a week and a day." I've been talking to and hanging out with all of my friends all summer, almost every day, and it's just suddenly hitting me how we are actually going separate ways, leaving each other. But I think, because we all have this strong connection to each other, we aren't really leaving just yet. Maybe I'll need to get to my own college and make new friends to fully "disconnect," and finally leave high school behind me, but I won't really ever leave these friends. I know them. They know me.
So I haven't cried yet. Beth is just a phone call away. Just a thought around the corner.
I haven't cried yet.
molly.beth.young at gmail.com
11 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment